“If you believe in me, I’ll believe in you”, said the Unicorn in Alice in Wonderland. We believe in you, Unicorn! If you also believe in Unicorns, or at least the magic of Unicorns, you’ll love making this Unicorn headband for your dog.
This Unicorn headband is easy to make and we’ve designed it to sit comfortably on your pupper’s head for full, magical effect.
Let’s get started!
How to make a Unicorn Headband for your Dog
UNICORN HEADBAND SUPPLIES
- Felt – in the colour desired for your Unicorn horn
- Hat Elastic – choose a width that will sit comfortably on your head, sufficiently wide enough to glue the horn on to and long enough to wrap around your head with around a 5cm or 2.5″ overlap. We used a light brown elastic (to blend, rather than contrast with our fur) approximately 2cm or 3/4″ wide. For a larger dog you may wish to go wider but for a smaller dog we recommend only going marginally smaller.
- Hot glue gun and about 2 glue sticks per headband
- Cotton – match or contrast the colour of your Unicorn horn – we used white felt and white cotton
- Needle – only a tiny bit of hand stitching, so little it barely even qualifies as sewing
- Stuffing – you can use polyester toy fibre or anything you have around the house. We snipped up a bit of spider-web decorations left over from Halloween (not pictured)
- Decorations for your headband – we used four small flowers, two green leaves and three gold glittery flowery things on ours
- Unicorn Horn template
Take the hat elastic, wrap it around your dog’s head (just in front of the ears and under the chin) and mark the circumference with your finger. Remove from dog, give doggy a treat and send him away to play. Pin the elastic to secure it at the correct size. Glue the overlapped section of the elastic and allow to dry. Be fairly generous with your glue allowance. (Tip: remove pins so they don’t set in the glue)
Cut your felt using the Unicorn horn template.
Using the hot glue gun, glue the long edge of the Unicorn horn. Allow to dry (a couple of minutes), then turn inside out so that the glue seam is on the inside.
Cut a rough circle from the felt, slightly larger than the base of the Unicorn horn. It doesn’t need to be precise as the magical Unicorn horn decorations will cover any rough edges.
Stuff the Unicorn horn and glue the base on. Using the needle and secure the thread at the bottom of the Unicorn horn by sewing a few loops. Then, simply wind the thread up to the top of the Unicorn horn, pulling fairly tightly to create the definition of the horn. Secure cotton with a few discrete loops and knots. That’s it – your sewing component is over – it wasn’t that bad, was it?
Glue the Unicorn horn to the elastic, making sure the seam is at the back.
Decorate with abandon by securing your selected embellishments with the hot glue gun. We placed the headband on a (clean) cardboard coffee cup to stabilise during decorating. Allow to dry.
See the magical aura surrounding these little Weeniecorns?
Please let us know if you make the Unicorn Headband in the comments below! Of course, we’d love to see your finished project – pop a photo in the comments or tag us on Instagram @happywhitespaces #happywhitespaces